Saturday, September 14, 2013

A HEART OF GRATITUDE


HEART OF GRATITUDE


”O give thanks to the Lord for His mercies endureth for ever” (Psalm 136:25)



Welcome mum, my children chorused as I walked into the living room. We hugged while I handled the stuffs I got for them on my way home. My daughter took hers, gave me a faint smile and walked away. “Come back here” I almost shouted at her, “what was the meaning of that?” I queried starring at her innocent face. “Thank you ma” she muttered, beaming reluctantly. Let me have them back I said stretching forth my hands to collect the stuffs back when the spirit of God stopped me on my tracks. “That is the way you and so many others do everyday towards me”, the still small voice whispered in my ears. You walk away with my blessings and pretend I never gave them to you. “Your daughter did the same now and you want to collect those things from her”, “Let her go” the spirit of God said. Wearied, I moved my dejected body to my room to ask for forgiveness. 

Most persons are guilty of not thanking God for His good deeds towards them. When He does something for us we just walk away without giving a word of appreciation for His wondrous works in our lives. If God decides to charge us for the air we breathe, the salvation of our souls or for the organs that functions perfectly in our bodies, am certain that only the wealthy can afford to live here on earth and also make heaven. 

First and foremost, we are all living. For you to be reading this post, it means you are hale and hearty and has a sound mind. You are not bedridden, not dead nor in jail. You are just bouncing in the glory of His name. I must confess it hurts when something meaningful is being done to someone and the person receives it like it does not matter, it can really be heart-piercing. If God decides to take back all He gave to us like I tried doing, what will become of us?

It is countless what God does for us every day. We are beautiful. The Psalmist says “I will praise thee for I am wonderfully made; marvelous are thy works…” He made us His own. 1 Peter 2:9 declares “Ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people…” He guides us, preserves us, and provides for us. Philippians 4:19 says “For my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus”. He is our safety. In fact, there are innumerable things we owe God appreciation for. 

Have you thanked Him for that new car?, the job, did you thank God for seeing you through that trying period? For preserving your family, for helping you pay your bills? Have you thanked Him for peace in your country? For good health and sound mind? For healing you of that sickness? For taking you to and fro your work place without any hitch? What of your beloved spouse? And lovely children? Do not limit your thanksgiving, praise God for all things. An African proverb goes thus “If you praise a warrior for what he has done, he does more” same goes to God. When you appreciate and praise Him for His uncountable goodness towards you, He performs more. 

The bible says; “For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills. I know all the fowls of the mountains and the beasts of the field are mine. If I were hungry, will I drink the blood of goats? Offer unto God thanksgiving and pay thy vows unto the most High. And call upon me in the day of trouble and I will answer thee and thou shall glorify me. (Psalm 50: 10-15)”

Any day you visit the hospitals and prisons, refugee camps, countries going through civil wars or even riots, you will learn to appreciate God more. Brethren, from any angle you wish to measure it, our God has being faithful. Develop an attitude of praise to the Almighty today and let Him know that you are grateful for His loving kindness towards you. THANK YOU JESUS! Have you said it today?

DEBORAH YEMI-OLADAYO

No comments:

Post a Comment